Fireworks explosion south of Los Angeles: 25 families are still displaced two months after the explosion
Resident Maria Velasquez says don’t let the new paint job on the affected homes fool you. The structural damage inside is severe.
“They’re trying to put a bandage in a place that needs stitches,” Velasquez said.
She met an inspector on Wednesday, who told her the stucco in the house was coming off and the house had been moved.
Fireworks explosion in southern LA: some residents file claims against town after catastrophic detonation
“Once he entered my parents’ house, he saw that the ceiling had a lot of nails and holes,” she said. “He walked into the second unit and noticed the same thing.
He said at first glance, the house is not even acceptable for someone to live there because if an earthquake happens, here we are. Everything is going to fall on us. ‘only one dead, but 7 dead – my sister, my brother-in-law, my daughter, my parents, my niece. “
Twenty-five families are still displaced and live in a hotel in downtown Los Angeles. They want to go home, but they have been told it is not safe.
They are angry with their board member, Curren Price, about the slow progress.
Fireworks explosion in southern LA: Explosives exceeded containment truck’s capacity, LAPD says
“We are here to expose the cowardice, the shameful act of Curren Price which misleads the general public about the situation and conditions of the residents. People are facing eviction, homelessness,” Adrian said Alvarez, a community organizer. with the Union del Barrio group. “They have a hard time surviving by eating, with the mental impact of the explosion.”
On Wednesday, Price introduced a motion to develop a comprehensive stimulus package, which provides $ 5 million for services, including structural improvements. Price admits the neighborhood is far from where it needs to be.
“Since the botched detonation, I have worked to ensure that those directly affected have access to the support and services they need to weather this storm,” said Price. “If we are to emerge stronger and better from this disaster, I think we need to do a lot, a lot more.”
A report describing the recovery plan is expected by the end of September. Part of the $ 5 million would come from the LAPD budget.
Copyright © 2021 KABC-TV. All rights reserved.