The police accuse a dying man of having “feigned unconsciousness” during his arrest; Published audio recording


  • Police accused Paul Reid, 50, of “feigning unconsciousness” in fatal arrest in 2017
  • The police allegedly did not give him his heart medication and applied force to his neck
  • Reid’s family said they told officers about his medication, but they did not listen

A 50-year-old man in Adelaide, South Australia, who died while under arrest in 2017, was accused by police of “feigning unconsciousness” during the meeting, audio recordings of an investigation have released revealed this week.

Indigenous Paul Reid died of a health problem during his arrest at Parafield Gardens on May 26, 2017, Australian newspaper The Herald Sun reported.

Police were called to the home of the father of ten at around 2:30 a.m. after his wife, identified as Rosemary Hadley by, called authorities and said she feared he might have her. hit.

“My partner is leaving, my kids are holding him back because he wants to hit me,” Hadley was heard in an audio recording presented before an investigation into Reid’s death. He allegedly tried to hit his wife with a didgeridoo, an Australian wind instrument.

Reid was placed under arrest for aggravated assault shortly before 2:50 a.m., according to the investigation. One of the arresting officers, Chief Constable Mark Brookes, then called for an ambulance at around 2:55 a.m., claiming Reid “had decided to feign unconsciousness.”

“He was standing and screaming and screaming before the handcuffs went on and he suddenly decided not to react, but no episode came before him to indicate that he has any injuries or underlying issues,” he said. we heard Brookes say in the audio recording.

Sally Giles, the lawyer assisting the coroner in the case, told the inquest that another officer said in a statement that he “assumed that Mr. Reid was pretending to respond to his arrest.”

Reid was then pronounced dead at 4 a.m. An autopsy determined her cause of death to be ischemic heart disease.

Family members have claimed Reid did not receive his glyceryl trinitrate spray medicine for heart disease during the arrest despite their attempts to alert police. Reid was reportedly diagnosed with “significant coronary artery disease” in November 2016, which was deemed unsuitable for bypass surgery.

“I tried to give it to them but they didn’t take it, they refused to take it,” Reid’s son Chris Reid reportedly said at the time.

Additionally, members of Paul’s family were concerned that force had been applied to his neck during the arrest.

“They grabbed him by the throat and said ‘don’t tell me how to do my fucking job’,” Chris recalls.

Brookes, however, does not recall anyone at the house mentioning a heart problem or officers applying force to Paul’s neck.

Paul had refused to take his medication for his heart problem for many months before his death, Giles said.

The lawyer said the investigation would explore issues such as how prepared and arrested Reid was, when to contact an ambulance and officers’ knowledge of his condition.

Jane Powell, who represented Paul’s family, claimed the family had identified three areas of concern in the case, namely the use of force against Paul prior to his arrest, the lack of police response to his emergency medical and failure to protect or cover his body. after his death.

The investigation is still ongoing.

Representation. Australian police have reportedly accused Paul Reid, 50, of “feigning unconsciousness” during his fatal arrest. Photo: Pixabay

Source link

Comments are closed.